If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Friday, May 02, 2008

Drive Me Crazy

Since none of my readers had ever heard of "Rickrolling" before, I'm going to assume that you've also never heard of "hypermiling". Let me explain.

No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

Basically hypermiling is a group of semi-sane, insane and "stick-your-Johnson-in-a-jar-of-Planter's" (f*cking nuts) ideas for drastically increasing your cars mileage. Can anybody explain why this is suddenly becoming popular?

Yes. You there in the first row with the pile of cashews in your lap. What do you think? High gas prices? Yes, very good. I would have also accepted, "Bush is an idiot."

Just two days ago I filled my tank and averaged 22.7 mpg. I'll be doing pretty much the same kind of driving for the next tank so we can see if there's a difference.

The Plan

Pretty much all my driving is city driving so my options are limited. First, I pumped up my tires. My tires say the max is 44 psi. I decided to go to 40 psi but only because the pump I have at home is very slow and it would defeat the whole purpose if I drove somewhere else to pump them up. I'd consider 44 semi-sane. 40 is totally sane (and semi-lazy).

I also started implementing the "auto-stop". This definitely fits in the filbert-fornication category. There are two to four places (depending on the direction) I can do this during my commute. On the way home yesterday I tried it three times.

The first was on the exit hill from work. With no other cars around, that went pretty well.

The second was at the always backed up "T" intersection. Even though there were cars, this is completely straight and worked well (and by "well" I mean I didn't rear end anybody).

The third was the long Garp-like coast to my garage. This is curvy and requires a left hand turn. Without the engine running, the power steering quickly goes away and steering is a difficult two-hand job but I made it to the garage entrance. Unfortunately, my opener is too slow and/or my remote doesn't work from far enough away so I had to restart my engine to actually get inside the garage.

You also lose your power brakes (so stomp the sh*t out of them). Given the danger, you'd have to be a complete idiot to do this kind of thing...ever.

So, I'll see how it goes for a tank.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok. So given gas prices, I can see why this is appealing. However, if you do not own a hybrid with some type of energy reclamation, does it really make a difference? Further, if I tried this, what would I do about the turbo charger in my car? Does that kind of eliminate me from the pool of acceptable candidates?

mess

talljay said...

I think having a brain eliminates you from the pool.

If you have a hybrid, the engine will shut itself off so there's no need to do it yourself. Pulse and glide then becomes an option.

Way back, turbos had an issue with engine starts because of a lack of oil pressure at start-up. I don't know if that's still true.

I think you can gain quite a bit by just pumping up your tires. I'll post my results in another week or so.