If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

I Will Make An Exception For Fugu

I was feeling quite ill the last couple days in Germany. It started the night I ate the "freshly slaughtered pig". I decided to check my symptoms against the first disease you'd think of after eating pork.

  • nausea - check
  • diarrhea - check
  • vomiting - not today, not tomorrow but soon and for the rest of your life
  • fatigue - check
  • fever - check
  • abdominal discomfort - checkity check check check
Ooooh. Not good. Later symptoms include:
  • headaches - Oh goody
  • fevers and chills - way ahead of you here
  • cough - always great with a headache
  • eye swelling - that's different
  • aching joints and muscle pains - Mmmhmmm
  • itchy skin - shout it to the Lord!
  • diarrhea or constipation - huh?
Further:
If the infection is heavy, patients may experience difficulty coordinating movements, and have heart and breathing problems. In severe cases, death can occur.
Ooooh, death. This is some serious stuff.
For mild to moderate infections, most symptoms subside within a few months. Fatigue, weakness, and diarrhea may last for months.
Whew. Only a few months!

So based on that information and how I'm feeling today, I'm pretty sure I did not have trichinosis. It might have been a very mild case or since the parasite is killed at 170 degrees, the lack of effective A/C might have done it in. Still, I think I'll rein in my adventurous eating habits a bit next time.

No comments: