If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Maybe I Do Understand The Fatwah

I can only think of a few books in my life that I could not finish: Moby Dick, Dianetics, something by Joyce Carol Oates and, now, Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses. I figured if religious people wanted him dead because of this book, I'd love it. 10 pages and I'm falling asleep...for the second time. Maybe I was expecting something more vituperative. Here's a sample:

Exit Pimple, weeping, censored, a scrap on the cutting-room floor. Rhinestones fell from her navel as she went, mirroring her tears ... in the matter of Farishta's halitosis she was not, however, altogether wrong; if anything, she had a little understated the case. Gibreel's exhalations, those ochre clouds of sulphur and brimstone, had always given him - when taken together with his pronounced widow's peak and crowblack hair - an air more saturnine than haloed, in spite of his archangelic name. [...]
I just can't take 500+ pages of that. (BTW, that is verbatim, double-checked, even the strange spelling of "sulphur".)

And that was the last book I had on my list. So, if anyone has any suggestions that don't sound like the above please let me know.

No comments: