If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

When In Doubt, Look At Your Balls

Back when I worked at Arby's, everybody's timecards were kept in a stack on top of the timeclock. Every time you came into work you'd have to dig through this pile to find your card. One day, digging through the pile, I came across a timecard covered in writing. It said something along these lines:

I can't believe you made me clean up that mess tonight. It was horrible and nobody should have to do that. I quit and I'm never coming back. Yada, yada, yada
I didn't know the person whose timecard it was. I asked around and finally found someone that had worked that same night. Here's what happened.

Somebody had gone to the restroom, taken a dump and then smeared feces all over the walls of the bathroom. Additionally, they had decorated by sticking streamers of toilet paper to the feces. The manager told the new person (I was told it was their second day on the job) to clean it up. After they cleaned up, they finished the shift and, based on the note on the timecard, promptly quit.

This made no sense to me. To me, there were two options, clean it and stay OR don't clean it (either quit or simply refuse and risk getting fired). Why clean the sh*t if your gonna quit? I vowed to never do something like that.

The question for me now is "Is my current employer asking me to clean up sh*t?" What does the Magic 8-Ball say? Signs point to yes.

1 comment:

amoose said...

Here's how it may make sense. Chances are, this was the persons very first job. When instructed to clean the mess, they were probably experiencing a mixture of emotions, one of which being: I have to do what my manager tells me to do. However, as they started cleaning, they began to realize that the whole thing was bullsh*t! That they were being "required" to do something that definitely wasn't worth the dime a dozen, minimum wage job. This swelling of anger and disgust may have taken awhile to form into indignation, hence, at least some of the cleanup getting done. At least they came to their senses, quit and told off the boss. Think of all the people out there "stuck" in abusive relationships -- we can only hope that they too can come to a similar conclusion after enduring all the sh*t.