If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Denied

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I was deferred from giving blood. I've given somewhere between 8 and 9 gallons (yes, gallons!) over my lifetime and never been deferred. But yesterday my blood pressure was 86/54 and they won't take it if they get a reading below 90. She checked my other arm (although once she got the first reading it didn't matter) and I was able to get it up to 94/56 by thinking stressful thoughts (but that's hard when you're B-positive, get it?). Oh well, now I know for next time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was denied today because I have been to Belize within the past 12 months. Currently I expect my blood pressure and heart rate to be quite high due to the concentration of allergens in Jenn's house due to the new cat.

mess

talljay said...

This brings up a good point. It's what I call "Jay's law of convenient numbers". Where does 12 months come from? It's just too convenient not to be a total SWAG.
There's another joke here but I just can't quite bring myself to make it.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, but having looked at the list of countries that you can not go to and give blood for the seamingly arbitrary 12 mths, I may be denied much more often.

mess

talljay said...

I would guess the list consists of almost every country in South or Central America, Africa and Asia (except Japan and South Korea).