If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Friday, June 17, 2005

Please Don't Make Me Watch This Again

On the flight back from Ireland, Continental runs five (they say six but one is "Continental Vision") video channels. Here's what we were supposed to get:
First Feature:

  1. Assault on Precinct 13
  2. Elektra
  3. Let the Church Say Amen
  4. Sideways
  5. Toys in the Attic
Second feature:
  1. Constantine
  2. Sideways
  3. The Practice (TV)
  4. Maid in Manhattan
  5. How to Steal a Million


My thinking went like this: I heard Elektra was terrible, not terribly interested in the church movie, just saw Sideways (really liked it, too) and wasn't interested in the 1963 movie, so Assualt it was and, it was fine as far as having something to do while being locked in an aluminum can 36,ooo ft. above the ocean.

After that I picked Constantine but Assault came back up on that channel. I flipped around and saw that all the channels were showing the first feature again. They had mistakenly rewound the tape(s). Uhg. I guess I'll watch Elektra.

Well, even with the whole 36,000 ft. and everything this movie is barely tolerable. I'm watching it and about an hour and a half in they interrupt the movie to show a video of how to fill in your customs form. That took so long that apparently the movie tape stopped (if it's a VCR then it would automatically stop after a couple minutes on pause). The customs tape ended but the movies didn't start back up. After a few minutes someone asked and the flight attendant went to check on things. And then things started back up...from the beginning of the tape. A check of the time showed there might be time to fit in a whole movie but probably not. As bad as Elektra was I would've liked to have seen the end. I could watch it again and hope it made it through or watch something else that I wanted to see even less and risk not seeing the end of it either.

Fear and loathing at 36,000 ft as I started to watch Elektra again. It was about 5 minutes short of where it had left off last time when the call went out for seat belts, tray tables and upright positions.

Beware (not that anyone _should_ care) spoiler below:

So the point I got up to was where Elektra was in the camp with the blind guy. I asked a friend how it ended and got the "She kills all the bad guys" response, which, in actuality, is probably more exciting than the movie itself. I just can't "waste" a Netflix on this thing. If anyone can fill in more details on the end, please feel free to do so.

P.S. Yes, the idea of leaving a partial summary of the ending and then cutting it off is very funny but someone already thought it up. :)

No comments: