If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Noticias De La Musica

There was a discussion the other day about a couple songs with the word "vaseline" in them, mainly who sang them.

I decided to try the website midomi to identify them. I couldn't get a hit on either of them. I was sure one was by Bush because someone had given me the CD. After browsing through my CDs a couple times I came to the only possible conclusion: I had lost my Bush CD!

Until I found the Stone Temple Pilots CD with the Vaseline song. D'oh!

The other song was harder to find but I eventually got it. It was The Flaming Lips song She Don't Use Jelly.

Could midomi find anything? I decided to try Girl from Ipanema and voila! It found it! Very cool. I tried humming Take 5 but got nothing. I tried I Like Big Butts but didn't get crap. Last I tried Oye Como Va and that one worked!

Conclusion: midomi works great with Spanish music but is biased against whites and blacks.

Update: Since everybody is antisemitic, I decided to check If I Were A Rich Man (from Fiddler on the Roof). The main match was some song by Gwen Stefani but a couple down from it was the Fiddler match. Then I played the Gwen Stefani song to see why it matched and now I just feel old...so terribly old.

No comments: