If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Winter Benefit: Pants Aren't As Tight

My electric company offers features beloved by anal-retentives, control freaks and the Asperger inclined. One of them is a break down of your electricity usage (I assume they estimate these otherwise I'll need to get out my tinfoil hat). The heat is so high because I have an electric heat pump.

The bottom part of the picture is the best. If you look closely, my home is actually off the chart. It uses less than the home that uses the least energy.

The problem with a heat pump is that it gets less efficient as the temperature goes down. I was thinking about this the other day when it dawned on me that my refrigerator is also acting as a heat pump. It removes the heat from the refrigerator and pumps it into my home. Unfortunately, there's no net benefit since the heat just seeps back in. Then I thought, "What if freeze some ice and then throw it outside? How much net heating would that generate?"

But asking the question is as geeky as I allow myself to get.

No comments: