If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

The Wall

This should have posted this past Saturday.

Got up first thing so I could catch the 9am train to Badaling to see part of the Great Wall. I had read that if you want a seat on the train you should arrive 30 minutes early. I got there at 8:30...and missed the train entirely.

The next train was at 11am which I did get a seat on. I'd guess you need to be an hour early to make the train. Maybe another half hour to get a seat. Advice: don't take the train unless you like standing in queues.

The Wall was mostly as expected but what I didn't expect was the steepness. It's quite the hike going up and down parts of it.

I hiked around for a couple hours and then headed back to take the 3pm train. After waiting from 2:30 until 3:30 it was clear I had bad information and the next train was at 4. Advice: don't take the train.

Starving, I decided to try Mr. Shi's for dumplings. Unfortunately I could not find it. I ended up at a Tibetan place catering to the youth hostel crowd. I had a Tibetan beer and some yak (taste and texture much like brisket).

No comments: