If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Bush, Santorum and Harris

On Sunday, I went to Best Buy to buy an MP3 player. At the check-out line, there was a gentleman (late 50's I'd say) in front of me. He was looking to the side at the selection of books for sale. (Why Best Buy sells "regular" books, I don't know.) I only remember two of the books. One was the latest Harry Potter book and the other was pointed out by this gentleman.

Man (to me) : I can't believe they allow her books in here.
Me: Who?
Man: Jane Fonda, that commy.
Me: Well, uh, that's what America is all about, right? Free speech?
Man: Did you know that when she visited Vietnam three soldiers wrote their Social Security numbers on slips of paper and handed them to her and she turned those over of their captors and they were killed?
*blink*
Mercifully, the next check-out person was free and off went the man to pay for electronics from communist China.

Much to my surprise, this story (or something closely resembling it) has been circulating for quite some time. There is an account of this urban legend at Snopes. Let me be very plain; I don't give a shit about Jane Fonda or what she did or didn't do in Vietnam. This story is about that guy. That guy is middle America. That guy is why Bush is President, Santorum is a Senator and, most likely, Katherine Harris will be elected to the Senate next year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you and your New York and Hollywood liberal friends just make your own country if you hate this one so much? You can call it The Peoples Rebublic of WeAreSoMuchSmarterThanYouTopia. You can all sit around and do yoga and wonder why there isn't any food on the grocery store shelves.

Rick S.

talljay said...

Isn't that country already called France? ;)

Anonymous said...

Cool, I had no idea that Rick Santorum read your blog!

talljay said...

rv - Yep. Someone recently told me that "Santorum likes your blog" or maybe it was "Your blog is like Santorum". Meh. Same difference.

Anonymous said...

Nice.

Rick S.