If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Yogahurt

Some of the cereal I got recently came with a "yoga sampler" DVD. Last night I decided to give it a try.
The DVD comes with four 10 minute samples: Beginners, for fitness, for athletes and one other I can't recall. I decided to go for the beginner one.
The first couple minutes were an introduction about yoga. Then we sat cross legged (not that yoga cross legged way, where you stick your heals in your stomach). Already I had a problem as I was not flexible enough to be comfortable. We breathed very slowly and stretched our spine and neck as high as we could. Then we laid on our backs and breathed and streched our spine and neck as far as we could. Next, pull one knee to the chest and breathe some more. Then the other leg. Breathe. Now sit on your heals. (Ow, my knees hurt.) "If your knees hurt put a blanket or pillow on your heals." Well, the blankets and pillows were too far away to grab so I just toughed it out. "Now place your forehead on the ground, hand out in front." Surprisingly I had no problem doing that.
So, I'm kneeling with my face on the floor waiting for the next instruction. Waiting. And waiting. Should I be breathing? Did the instructor stop breathing? I sneak a peek. I guess my 10 minute sample had ended. That went pretty well, so I decided to try out the fitness section.

Mountain pose. Namaste. Swan dive. Exhale. Power pose. Downward dog. Slide through to Upward dog. Power pose. Mountain. Namaste. Swan dive. WTF is going on?
So I watched and tried to copy what the guy was doing. My biggest problems were: touching my toes with my knees straight (but by the end I could, woohoo), breathing as slowly as they wanted and, of course, not being able to see if I was doing anything even close to what was called for.

If I strip out the spiritual stuff, I enjoy yoga as much as yogurt, and that's pretty good.

1 comment:

Jenntos said...

Yoga is pretty cool. I don't keep up with it, but I do enjoy it when I do it. The spiritual stuff? meh. I don't mind the candles/low light/soft music, even...