If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Monday, May 22, 2006

It's The Bigotry, Stupid

The Senate Judiciary Committee, headed by PA Senator Arlen Specter, approved the Federal Marriage Amendment which would define a marriage as being between a man and a woman. Of course, there is nothing that prevents a man and a woman from being married now. What the amendment is really about is preventing marriage between two people who are not of the opposite sex. But voting for something that said that would just seem like bigotry.

Since I live in PA, I sent Sen. Specter an email which, for the most part, quoted my post and asking him to answer the questions there about how exactly "man" and "woman" would be defined.

I received this sad excuse for an answer (not that I expected an actual answer):

Thank you for contacting my office regarding S.J.Res. 1, a joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relating to marriage. The proposed amendment to the United States Constitution would define marriage as only a union between a man and woman. Amending the Constitution is a very serious step, and one we should never take lightly . This is a very difficult issue that requires careful consideration and thought.

Rest assured that I will keep your thoughts on this issue in mind should the Senate consider this or any other similar legislation. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office or visit my website at www.specter.senate.gov . Thank you again for writing .

Sincerely,

Arlen Specter

No comments: