If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Friday, March 17, 2006

I Should've Brought The Video Camera

Buzz in when you think you know how the story ends.

Playing disc golf today, I came upon the hole that crosses the river twice. I never used to play this hole until I found out there is an amateur tee. From this tee, there's about a 100 foot toss to the rivers edge and then it's only about 40 feet across the river. (Did you buzz yet?)

My first toss hit a tree and so I had about 80 feet or so to get across the river. And, of course, I threw* my disc right into the river. Right in the middle. I walked out on a little sand bar area and tried to use a tree (literally a tree, it weighed about 90 lbs. and was about 15 feet long) to snatch it. It was not long enough. Despite having some new discs on the way, I was not going to give in easily.

I threw* some stones into the river to step on. Yep, stones on top of slimy river stones equals no walking on stones.

I crossed the bridge to see about trying from the other side. It didn't look any better. Someone had cut a tree down (a big tree, 14-16" diameter) and I thought about using some of the logs as stepping stones (well, stepping logs) but that seemed really stupid. The river was laughing at me. With no other options, I went home empty handed...

where I grabbed my hiking boots, some plastic bags, extra socks and a towel and I headed back to my Moby river. I sat down and took off my shoes, covered my feet with bags and put on my boots. The boots would hold out water up to 3 inches or so. The bags would allow about another 6 if needed. I found a walking stick and headed in. I thought, "Who's laughing now?"

On my second step I slipped briefly but quickly found my bearings. Five feet out my boots were still keeping out the water but things were about to get deeper. At ten feet, I was in about 5 inches of water and could feel a slight tinge of cold creeping through my boots. Were the bags holding? I couldn't tell. I was racing against time now.

Fifteen feet out I had a problem. The deepest part of the river, the only deep part in fact was ahead and I could not walk through it. The disc was only 5 feet way. Thinking quick, I grabbed my stick (my walking stick for crying out loud) and, finding the strength of one man, managed to snag my disc and drag it toward me. Disc in hand, I scrambled back to shore like an overgrown wading bird. The insides of the boots were wet (not soaked) but the bags held and my socks were dry. I gather my gear and headed home...playing a few holes along the way. And as I walked I thought, "I wonder how much a pair of waders cost."

* - Thanks to Rick S. for pointing out these f-ups. I really need to start proforeading my work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have paid to see that video. I'm sorry I didn't take you up on your offer to play a round, but you know how busy I am in the Senate...

On a side note, the past tense of throw is threw. See if you can find all the places you got it wrong.

Your favorite editor,
rick s

Anonymous said...

Why don't you just send the document to your copy editors? That is what I do.

I feel your pain when it comes to chasing down gold discs. I usually play with Ultimate discs so I don't mid so much if I lose them because I have a lot of them.

talljay said...

I found another disc this weekend (that made it 2 drivers plus 1 I-don't-know-what). My new discs arrived yesterday so I now have 7 drivers, 1 mid range, 1 putter, 1 I-still-don't-know-what)