If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Monday, August 14, 2006

Another Cavity Post

Every couple of years I run across a recipe for some type of candy--usually fudge--and I think, "That sounds good. I think I'll make that."

This time the recipe was for Soft Peanut Butter Brittle. I gathered the ingredients (sugar, water, corn syrup, peanuts, peanut butter and baking soda) and started cooking...and things started to go wrong.

I don't know how it happened but somehow a little corn syrup spilled on my stovetop and, without me knowing, some got underneath the burner. As my sugar/corn syrup heated to around 220 degrees the spilled syrup started smoking then caught fire. Not having a fire extinguisher, I did the next best thing. I turned on the exhaust hood fan and switched the pot to another burner.

Once I hit 295 degrees, off went the heat and in went the peanuts/peanut butter and baking soda. Snap went my wooden spoon.

I got everything mixed and spread out on a cookie sheet. After cooling, I broke off a piece and while chewing it I thought, "Next time I need to remind myself that I don't really like candy."

No comments: