If you're looking for the funniest stuff, I suggest starting with the Steve, Don't Eat It Homage and then the travel category. You're on your own with the older posts that have yet to be categorized.

Monday, September 11, 2006

A Night In The Life

We set off for dinner around 7:15 this evening. I had a few places marked on a crudely drawn map and we ended up at Im Füchschen. This was the same place I ate the "freshly slaughtered pig" the last time.

We had one Alt while trying to decipher the German menu. After another half an Alt I went and got the English menus from the waiter. Now, you'd think that after asking for menus, then asking again for English menus, that the waiter might have an inkling that you want food. After a total of about 40 minutes without getting our order taken, we paid our tab and left. I think Im Füchschen is pronounced, "I'm f*cked then" or there abouts.

We ended up at Zum Schiffchen. They had Frankenheim Alt, which is not as good as the Füchschen but the service actually existed. I order the grilled pig knuckle. I don't really know what this is but I'm guessing it's the knee. It is large, about the size of a Chiuaua...maybe bigger. It's a man's meal for sure. When I ordered it, the waiter gave me a knowing look...like I knew what I was doing.

Just as an aside, they had an appetizer that was something-schmaltz and bread. The English translation: lard with bread. I kid you not.

Anyway, I ate most of the pig thingy which came with sauerkraut and fried potatoes. Excellent and recommended for those with a hearty pig-eatin' appetite.

On the walk back to the tram, through an open window three floors up we heard, in a high pitched, German accented voice, "ooh, ooh.....ohh, ohh, ohh.....ay, ay, ohhhh....ay, ay, ay, ay...." and on and on.

I wondered if they had a mechanical bull in there.

No comments: